Wazobia Reporters – we cover the nation | news | entertainment | education | foreign | business | sports

Court rejects police application for Seun Kuti’s arraignment

A Sabo-Yaba Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos State, on Wednesday, May 24, refused an application by the police to formally arraign Afrobeat singer, Seun Kuti.

Kuti, who was released from custody on Tuesday night, had been on remand for six days on the orders of the court.

The police had, on May 16, applied for the remand of the musician over alleged assault on a police officer.

On Wednesday, Cyril Ejiofor, who led a police legal team to the court, applied to the court to allow arraignment of the singer.

He said the application was to formally bring charges against Kuti.

Kuti’s counsel, Femi Falana, SAN, however, opposed the application.

Falana argued that the police refused to send the case file to Lagos State Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for advice, as directed by the Chief Magistrate, Adeola Olatubosun.

He urged the court not to let the police to prosecute and investigate at the same time.

Falana added that the order given by the court should not be disregarded.

“The police should duplicate the case and transfer it for DPP’s advice,” he said.

In her ruling, Olatubosun held that she needed the DPP’s advice before proceeding with the case.

The Magistrate, therefore, adjourned the case until July 3, 2023, for mention.

It would be recalled that the police alleged that Kuti assaulted a police Inspector on the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos on May 13.

The police said Kuti slapped the Inspector after driving dangerously on the bridge and deliberately blocking a moving police vehicle.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.