Ekiti State government has said that over 1,500 forms have been sold to those interested in buying lock-up shops in the new Oja Oba market in Ado Ekiti, which is about 90 percent completed.
Special Assistant to the State Governor on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka said in a statement issued on Thursday, that all previous shop owners, whose shops were demolished to pave way for the new market will be considered first in the allocation of the over 700 lock-up shops.
Last week, the government had through open balloting, allocated the over 200 open shops in the market to beneficiaries that were expected to pay a sum of N200,000 for the outright purchase of each of the shops.
It urged beneficiaries of the open shops to pay up or lose their allocations to those on the waiting list.
The government said allocation of the lock-up shops will be done transparently, adding that “no amount of blackmail by those who did everything to frustrate the construction of the market will prevent the allocation of the shops to Ekiti people who are eager to resume business activities in the market.
“It is funny that the same people who never wanted the market built are the ones now kicking against allocation of the shops, ostensibly to allow for the sharing of the shops among their cronies when they assume office.
“They want to short-change those whose shops were demolished for the construction of the new market, but the government of Ayodele Fayose will not allow that. We will stand by the masses and protect them against theimpending oppression.
“In few days, the government will stop selling forms and will announce date for the allocation of the shops and give deadline for payment.”